Supporting Recovery Efforts in Japan

March 16, 2011

As we continue to follow the devastating tragedy in Japan and feel the need to support the relief efforts, it is important to make sure your money will reach those in need. All non-profits are required to be registered with the IRS, so it is best to do your research before you donate and make certain that you are donating to a qualifying organization.

Additionally, contributions directly to foreign organizations generally are not tax-deductible. In order for your donation to be tax deductible, it must be made through a domestic, tax-exempt, charitable organization. The organization must also have full control and discretion over the uses of such funds.

As always, keep all receipts to document your contribution.

For more information, contact your Perelson Weiner partner.

Read more:

Return to Newsletter Archive